My Zero Waste Deodorant DIY Recipe changed my life! Seriously, have you tried many deodorant brands that are eco-friendly, vegan, natural and meant to work? But somehow, back from lunch you are already stinky?
I feel you! I have tried many brands, some worked, some not at all. But really none was satisfying enough. They were hard to find, would require me to order online, were not vegan, would come in plastic packaging and so on.
Last month, I honestly almost gave up on them. I was preparing myself to either come back to traditional dodgy brands or to completely give up on deodorant. Basically it all came back to choosing between risking cancer or stinking forever.
It might seem dramatic but if you have been looking for an efficient zero waste and natural deodorant, you know what I am talking about!
After 4 long weeks of despair, a friend of mine introduced me to a DIY recipe she loved so I decided to give it a go. A few days later, I was ordering from a bulk store and prepared my own. That recipe really changed my life!
The health concerns related to traditional deodorant
The real health concerns related to deodorants apply to products containing aluminium which can cause cancer and hormones disorder. Scientists also suspect that aluminium leads to dementia. Even though that has not been proven by research yet, I would rather avoid it. Read more here.
The environmental & ethical concerns
One of my main concern is the packaging. Most deodorants end up in our trash and in landfills because they come in plastic that we do not recycle.
Some also contain palm oils that are a big cause of deforestaation in South east Asia.
Another aspect to consider is that they are not vegan and tested on animals. As a vegan, it is an absolute no go for me.
The Zero Waste Deodorant DIY Recipe
- 20 drops of essential oil. Prefer one that has antibacterial properties. I went for grapefruit which also smells very nice.
- ? cup of baking soda. Most recipes advise to do half baking soda and half corn scratch but I have a very sensitive skin so that would not work for me. I recommend that you follow that guideline to avoid itching.
- ? cup of corn scratch
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil. If possible unrefined and organic.
- A recipient to store the deodorant. I recommend to reuse one you already have. It is by far more sustainable than buying a new one.
- A bowl
- A spoon
- Clean all materials with alcohol and wait until it is dry
- In a bowl add cornstarch and baking soda. Mix well
- Add essential oil and coconut oil and mix until you have a homogen paste.
- Pour it in your recipient
How to use the Zero Waste Deodorant DIY
After shower, take the equivalent of a pinto bean at the end of your finger and rub it on your armpits. Easy peasy!
I usually apply twice a day. I shower at night so I wash quickly my armpits in the morning and use deodorants then.
I hope it will work as well for you as it works for me. Let me know!
It sounds so lovely!! And I’ve screenshot it??? Thanks, love???
You are so welcome! Let me know if you have any questions and if it works well for you 🙂