Christmas 2019 and New Year 2020 were my first festivities as fully vegan. I was a little nervous because I thought it would difficult. Luckily, it was so much easier than I expected and that is partly due to that Vegan Smoked Salmon Recipe and its delicious blinis!
Head directly to the recipe card
Vegan Smoked Salmon Saved my Christmas!
If you are already vegan, in the middle of Veganuary or even simply looking for a plant based alternative, you might wonder why I was worried. The most “difficult” part was the location. I was invited at my uncle’s house and I did not want him to be offended if I bring my own food. Good news: he was not at all! I did not even receive any negative comments from my family (which is not vegan at all!).
I was also stressed about finding an “easy” Christmas dinner (Or New Year) recipe. That was ridiculous because trust me that vegan smoked salmon recipe is super easy!
Finally, I was concerned that I would miss out on delicious dishes. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love vegan food and never feel like I miss meat or diaries (a little cheese, I must admit) but food during that period of the year is such a big thing in France! Besides, it did happen to me to get some elaborated vegan food in restaurants and end up disappointed. Well, this vegan salmon proved me that vegan Christmas dinner is a REAL thing! So here we go with the recipe!
Vegan Smoked Salmon Recipe
That recipe is ideal either as vegan canapés with a few drinks to start a lovely gathering, for a brunch where you want to have loads of small dishes or as a starter.
For 16 blinis:
- 100g of flour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 150ML of water
For vegan Smoked Salmon Recipe:
- 500g of carrots
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce (the salty one)
- 1 tablespoon of dill
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon of apple vinegar cider
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Dill (if dry, which is the one I used) but you may use 4 branches of fresh dill
How to make vegan salmon?
Start with salmon. You need to start preparing it one day before serving!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel the carrots and slice them with a vegetable peeler so they are not too thick nor too thin
- Add the smoked paprika in water and steam the carrots slices for 10 minutes
- Put the carrots in a recipient that you can place in the oven (keep the juice) and add the rest of the ingredients
- Add the juice
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. (Some water will remain; it will be your marinade)
- Let it cool
- Keep it in the fridge overnight
Prepare the sauce:
- Cut dill if you bought it fresh
- Mix mustard, maple syrup, vinegar and oil in a bowl
- Add dill, salt and pepper
- Keep it in the fridge
For the blinis:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir until you have a smooth thick-ish mixture.
- Warm up some oil in a pan
- Add a tablespoon of the mixture in the hot pan to form a blini shape. If the pan is big enough, feel free to cook a few blinis at the time.
- Turn over when it looks golden brown (Up to 2-3 minutes on each side)
- Keep going until you have no mixture left
- Keep the blinis warm
Assembling the Vegan Smoked Salmon Blinis
- Place a little salad and tomatoes in your plate for decoration
- Add the blinis in the plate
- Place a bit of sauce on each blini
- Drain your carrots and choose the pretty slices. Ideally you want to roll them to give them a salmon look.
- Add some fresh dill if you like!
Other occasions to use that vegan salmon recipe
Vegan smoked salmon is not only good for Christmas and New Year’s Eve you can have it at any festive events! Or not even festive. I know salmon is usually reserved to special occasions because it’s a luxury product, but carrots are not so feel free to abuse it ?
On the top of my mind, I find the recipe ideal for brunches, dinner parties with a buffet and for birthdays.
I hope you will enjoy that recipe as much as I did!
Recipe inspired from the french blog Vegan Freestyle. Find it here!